The Celebrant Perth
Perth's premier wedding celebrant with the Golden tie!
This website belongs to
The Celebrant Perth.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): The Celebrant Perth

1) How soon can I get married?
The Marriage Act 1961 specifies that a marriage cannot be solemnised (performed) until after 1 calendar month (that is, 1 month and 1 day) from the date that you complete, sign and lodge with me ( the authorised celebrant) the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form.

2) Is there anyway I can get married sooner than 1 month and 1 day from the time I lodge the NOIM with the authorised celebrant?
Yes, it is possible to have the length of time shortened, however, this is usually a time consuming and difficult process. You will need to complete a NOIM form with me ( the authorised celebrant), and pay a non-refundable deposit. However, I ( the authorised celebrant) cannot reduce the period of time in relation to a marriage. You will then need to take this completed form and apply to the Registry of Birth, Deaths & Marriages in Perth. If the Registry Office is satisfied that circumstances prescribed by regulations have been met, they may then authorise me ( the authorised celebrant) to solemnise (perform) a marriage sooner than 1 month and 1 day. Couples need to understand that shortening of time is not automatic. The Registry Office must state this authorisation on the NOIM form that you complete with me.
          There are 5 categories of circumstances set out in the regulations. These are:
            *  Employment related or other travel commitments,
            *  Wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations,
            *  Medical reasons
            *  Legal proceedings
            *  Error in giving notice
The Marriage Act 1961 specifies that a marriage cannot be solemnised (performed) until after 1 calendar month (that is, 1 month and 1 day) from the date that you complete, sign and lodge with me ( the authorised celebrant) the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form.
3) How do I begin the legal process of marriage?
In order to begin the legal process of getting married and registering the marriage in Australia you will need to complete a ' Notice of Intended Marriage' form. Steve will supply you with this form at the initial meeting.

4) What documents do I need to show to the authorised celebrant?
Please see my website's 'Documents Required' page for the comprehensive answer to this question. Just click on the link below -
5) Do I have to have a ceremony? Can't I just fill out the paperwork?
The law states that the marriage must be solemnised at a 'ceremony' of some kind which must take place no sooner than 1 month and 1 day after you have given your NOIM form to your celebrant. However, this ceremony can be as short as 5 minutes as long as the legal requirements of the ceremony at met. That is, in the presence of 2 witnesses over the age of 18, both parties to the marriage must say their mandatory, legal vows; the celebrant must recite the legally required wording (the monitum according to the Marriage Act 1961) and both parties to the marriage, the 2 witnesses and the authorised celebrant must sign all three copies of the marriage certificates/forms.
6) Can I say whatever I want for my vows?
Yes and no! There are legally required vows, according to the Marriage Act 1961, which you must say to each other by law in order for your marriage to be recognised as a legally binding civil union, so that it can be registered in the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages in Perth or anywhere in Australia.
However, once you have said your legal vows, you are then free to continue saying your own, personal, romantic vows. These personal vows do not even have to be in English.
7) Do I have to provide witnesses?
Yes, you must have at least 2 witnesses, over the age of 18, and who can speak English, to witness your marriage ceremony - in addition to the authorised marriage celebrant.
8) Can I get married anywhere I want?
Yes, an authorised marriage celebrant can legally conduct your marriage ceremony anywhere in Perth, or for that matter, anywhere on Australian territory (or waters), however, I personally do not conduct wedding ceremonies on beaches or boats due to bad experiences in the past.
Please see my website's 'Fees and Services' page for my TOP 10 recommended premium wedding venues for a list of my personal favourite privately owned/operated wedding venues in Perth. Just click on the link below -
Or for best Swan Valley wedding venues, please click on the link below -
Alternatively, for two of Perth's premium wedding venues you can't go past, Joondalup Resort or Vines Resort. Please click on the links below -
Or for a comprehensive list of all popular wedding venues in Perth, Western Australia, please view my website's 'Wedding Venues Perth' page. Just click on the link below -
9) Can I just write any name I want on the Notice of Intended Marriage form?
No, the law clearly states that the name you write on the NOIM form must be exactly the same as it appears on your birth certificate or overseas passport.
10) Can I show photocopies of my documents?
No, the law clearly states that all documents shown must be originals only, not photocopies.
11) Does the celebrant keep my documents?
No, once the authorised celebrant witnesses the original documents and marks down registration numbers, he must return them to you straight away. He is not even permitted to take photocopies of your documents.
12) Does the celebrant provide the 'Official Marriage Certificate'?
No, the celebrant is only permitted to provide you with the 'Commemorative Marriage Certificate.' The Official Marriage Certificate' can only be issued and purchased directly from the Registry of Births, Death and Marriages, Perth branch. This is not a document that a celebrant is permitted to provide. As some brides choose not to change their surname, it is not an automatic process and you do need to actually apply to purchase and receive a copy of your 'official marriage certificate' directly from the Registry of Births, Death and Marriages, Perth branch. 
13) Which certificate do I need to present for Partner/Prospective Marriage Visa Applications, and/or Passport, Drivers' Licence and Medicare surname change applications?
You must present all Government Departments with the 'Official Marriage Certificate' - they will not accept the 'Commemorative Marriage Certificate' which is issued by the celebrant. 
14) Can I purchase the 'Official Marriage Certificate' from the Registry Office on the same day as the marriage ceremony?
Yes, this is possible. After your marriage has been solemnised you have the option of taking all of the marriage documents from the celebrant and taking them yourself to the Registry of Births, Death and Marriages, Perth branch and register your marriage on the same day. There is no additional fee to register your marriage , but you will need to pay for the purchase of your 'Official Marriage Certificate', as discussed above.
I hope this information has been useful in answering your marriage related questions? If you have any further questions please feel free to email me. I am at your service - Steve, The Celebrant Perth.

celebrant celebrants celebrant Perth celebrant in Perth celebrants Perth civil wedding civil celebrant civil marriage civil marriage celebrant perth marriage celebrant perth marriage celebrant in perth marriage celebrant - Perth marriage celebrants in perth marriage ceremony perth ceremony civil marriage mariage marraige marriage celebrant perth marriage celebrants perth marrige celebrant perth perth perth celebrant perth celebrants perth civil marriage celebrant perth wedding perth wedding celebrant Perth wedding celebrants perth marriage celebrant Perth marriage celebrants overseas renewal of vows simple ceremony simple weddings small wedding weding wedings weddings wedding wedding celebrant wedding perth wedding celebrant perth wedding celebrants perth wedding celebrants perth wa wedding celebrant in Perth weddings perth wedding ceremony Australia WA Marriage Celebrant Perth WA Fremantle Dianella Western Morley Maylands Noranda park beach in vows cheap low price gosnells freo reserve venue